nlhe cash game. 4bet pot. 400bb deep. (pepito vs dominic)

Home Forums Hand Analysis nlhe cash game. 4bet pot. 400bb deep. (pepito vs dominic)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Pepito
    Participant

we’ve been playing .25/.50 nlhe for several hours short handed with ray, dominic, heather, and new player chris. in this hand, i straddle from the button which is why dominic acts first from the small blind.

=============
    ray (bb)
    dominic (sb): ~$300
    pepito (d): $200
    heather (co)
    chris (hj)

preflop ($1.75)
    dominic raises to $4, ray calls $4, heather folds, chris folds, pepito raises to $20, ray folds, dominic calls.

flop (~$45)
    dominic checks, pepito bets $22, dominic raises to $70, pepito calls

turn (~$185)
    dominic checks, pepito bets all-in for $110, dominic folds

==========

dominic tanked and cry-folded

interesting spot. thoughts?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Pepito.
    Pepito
    Participant

although i think my favorite part of this hand was tony gags walking by as i declare all-in for $110, and he was like “this is a .25/.50 game?!” and dominic says, “well, it’s pepito!” and tony walks away shaking his head.

Andy P
    Participant

preflop: seems like a pretty standard button raise from Pepito after a preflop raise and a call (possible squeeze, or to get heads up in position). Pepito can have just about any two cards here. Dom likely has a real hand.

flop: Dom checks to preflop raiser. Pepito C-bets. Dom raises to $70 (pot size) on a draw heavy board with an overpair. I neither like nor dislike the raise. Pot is so big already, I may have opted to check-call on the flop, specially at a cash game. It disguises the hand strength while balancing against when I have smaller pairs or two overs.

turn: Dom checks and folds to an all-in bet. Pot has close to $300 and he needs another $110 to call. Pretty good odds!

Some of the questions I would be asking here are:

When Pepito called Dom’s raise on the flop, was it to jam on the turn if a scare card showed up (heart for flush, any number of cards for a straight, or even an ace)?

Pepito isn’t putting Dom on four-flush on the flop (I wouldn’t). Does Dom’s check on the turn make him look weak enough for Pepito to bluff shove?

How often is Pepito bluffing here and do I have good enough odds to call?

I won’t go into more situational or esoteric questions, but one thing for sure, this hand illustrates the power of position!

Pepito
    Participant

1. after flatting flop, what is your plan for the remainder of the hand? c/c to riv on all non-scary cards? c/r turn on all non-scary cards and bomb river? c/f all heart or overcard turns?

2. if hero agrees with you and has removed all flush draws from dom’s range, how does that factor into the turn shove?

3. and yes, the button is the best. exponentially so, when playing 400bb deep.

Andy P
    Participant

1. after flatting flop, what is your plan for the remainder of the hand? c/c to riv on all non-scary cards?
    *** If I let my inner luckychewy out, I can do that.

c/r turn on all non-scary cards and bomb river?
    *** I like this kamikaze style but have gotten felted too often with this line.

c/f all heart or overcard turns?
    *** Not likely. At least one call on the turn, then reexamine on the river.

2. if hero agrees with you and has removed all flush draws from dom’s range, how does that factor into the turn shove?

*** Dom’s check on the turn after taking control on the flop may have signaled to the Hero that Dom doesn’t have a Heart in his hand. what is Dom check raising on the flop with after having have raised preflop and calling the 4-bet? It’s most likely that he has an over pair, or two big cards with two (or at least one) heart. If he had at least one big Heart, he will have likely bet out on the turn. Hence the turn shove is a good play imo!

If the Hero was semi bluffing, he may have held an Ace of heart with the other card that paired the flop. Of course, a straight draw on the flop could have turned into a combo draw on the turn. I don’t believe the Hero is shoving with a set, two pair, or a made *weak* flush – but who knows?

Dominic Chan
    Keymaster

I put Pepito on a made flush or AQ with the . There is obviously a lot of history between us in cash games so that also played into my reading.
    I’ve learned that despite attempts to keep the pot small that Pepito will bomb the pot very often. So I knew that it didn’t matter the amount of betting. The likelihood is that he’d get it all in by the end.

Since I played it tricky with Jacks not having 3bet him pre-flop, I have to think Pepito either puts me on a set or a flush draw and maybe two pair when I raise his Cbet on the flop. He took a while to call so that told me he was either thinking about reraising me or possible floating.
    The is such a scare card for me, making the heart flush or him getting there with AQ. I don’t think he has two pair or a set but I can’t rule that out either.
    When I check and he jams, I immediately rule out that he thinks I have a flush which increases the possibility that He does have it. I’ve been know to check raise when I have a draw so I think Pepito knows that about me so he’s not jamming if he thinks I made my flush.
    Many times, I’ve seen Pepito jam in that situation when he makes his hand on the turn and obviously I’ve seen him enough to know he could be bluffing.
    In the end, this really came down to a simple decision related around protecting my winnings. I bought in for $100 and I was on a bit of a rush having gotten it to almost $400. If I had just bought in and my stack was $200 or lower, I probably snap call him. This thinking probably makes me a nitty cash player but it’s been a while since I walked away with a profit in a cash game.

After the hand is over, I’m pretty sure that based on table talk and reads that Pepito bluffed me out of the pot.

Pepito
    Participant

andy: holding JJ against nearly all villains, i am probably c/c flop and turn, and re-evaluating the river– primarily because most opponents aren’t 3betting to 40bb preflop in a straddled pot and then firing two barrels without a huge hand. this is probably the best line in a vacuum. against me, a case can be made for check-raising for value on the flop, but i think dom’s mistake was not having a solid plan for latter streets.

dom: if you think that i think you definitely do not have a flush, why does that necessarily mean i am safely jamming for value? seems like i could also be safely jamming as a bluff too, yes? not confirming nor denying my hand, but just something to consider.

Andy P
    Participant

Is it just me or do most hand analysis remind you of the conversation between Vizzini and “the man in black” (Westley)? 🙂

Tony Gaglione

Lol. Def was shaking my head at Dom and not about me thinking Pepito was bloating pots in this game. I completely agree A check calling line here is where I stand. You are bloating a pot oop vs a tricky opponent super deep oop vs a tricky opponent.

Dominic Chan
    Keymaster

I thought I could get Pepito to fold on the flop with a check raise. It’s happened before.

But everyone is probably right that check calling on the flop make sense against most other opponents. Against Pepito, he’s going to be all in by the river anyway so I might as well see if I can get him to fold on the flop. Bombing the river is pretty standard for him.

Tony Gaglione

Which would be even more reason to check call……. Bloating a pot vs a tricky opponent oop is just suicide with your kind of hand there. You already have a ton of value. I can see doing it with a flush draw or an 8 and then letting Pepito do the math on your standard range and letting him hang himself, bet you basically had no clue where you were at, at any point of this hand.

Brad Jensen

If you plan to three bet a flop like this, why not do it pre-flop? He’d be forced to call somewhere around 40% of his stack pre or jam. The way you played this, you let an aggressive player with a very wide pre flop range put in the last bet in a spot where you are pretty polarized.

Another possible line: You know that Pepito is going to raise any two. Limp your jacks and call his much smaller bet. This makes a check / call line a little easier to swallow the river as well as opens up your range quite a bit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.