Pre Flop and Flop Action Ante Up World Championship

Home Forums Hand Analysis Pre Flop and Flop Action Ante Up World Championship

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brad Jensen

Level 6 150/300/50.

Seat 1: $45K. Solid player but not particularly tricky. Late 20’s / early 30’s white dude. Has played good situational poker by three betting enough to chip up. Recently won a huge pot with AA against an opponent that made a huge error with 99.
    Seat 2: $50K. Extremely loose and very active older white dude. Won a big pot off one of the bigger marks at the table by flopping a straight and getting paid off. Plays from all positions and only raises with big hands.
    Seat 3: $29K. Your hero. slightly down off starting stack and haven’t gotten anything going. Stack has wavered between $24K-$31K.
    Seat 4: $20K. Circuit reg named Candice. Decent but predictable.
    Seat 5: $20K. One of the marks. Late 20’s/early 30’s Asian dude. Pretty awful player prone to open limps, calling 3 bets out of position with reverse implied odds hands, etc.
    Seat 7: $25K. Circuit reg. Mid 40’s white dude. Loose and likes to see a lot of flops. Does understand position and loves to play his button.
    Seat 8: $40K. Good player. mid 30’s Hispanic dude. has really made no mistakeand has only shown down winners at the river. Doesn’t play out of position without premium holdings from what I’ve seen.

Seat 7 is button. Seat 8 is SB. Seat 1 is BB.

Seat 2 limps for $300.
    Seat 3 raises to $1500.
    Folds around to Seat 2 who makes a comment (I had made the same move in the same spot a few rounds before) and calls.

Seat 2 checks.
    Seat 3 bets $1,500.
    Seat 2 raises to $3,000.
    Seat 3 raises to $8,000.
    Seat 2 raises all in.
    Seat 3 calls.

Question 1: What is Seat 2’s UTG limping range and what is Seat 3’s raising range from UTG2?

Question 2: UTG check raises standard C-bet. What hands in his range does he do this with?

Question 3: UTG2 comes over the top. What hands in his range does he do this with?

Question 4: UTG moves in. What hands in his range does he 5 bet shove in this spot?

Question 5: UTG2 calls. What hands in his range does he call off a 98BB stack with in this spot against this villian and his perceived range?

Dominic Chan
    Keymaster

Interesting hand.

I think the villain’s range is a draw to a set. I notice a lot of weaker players like to limp in early position with small pocket pairs or suited connectors.
    Once there is all the raising, it’s probable that the villain has a monster draw, to a set of 4s or top two pair. I highly doubt they have pocket Queens but pocket nines is withing the villains range too.

Without knowing what the hero has, it’s harder to narrow the range of the villain. I’m assuming that the hero had either pocket 9s, two pair or a monster draw. I don’t think the hero calls off his entire stack with an overpair.

Brad Jensen

That’s pretty much the range that I put villain on. His OOP flat of my raise narrowed his monsters considerably and I felt the strongest non pairs he has there are AQ and AJ, although he’s probably opening those hands.

Again on flop, pretty much what I put him on although I felt he would do this with hands like AQ, A4, and A9 with the A of clubs blocking any nut draws I might have. He had done the min raise thing a few times and one of the ones that got to showdown was a busted draw.

I heavily discounted QQ as a possibility. He was raising all premiums. If he did have QQ I think he would have limped / raised me. I felt 99 was a possibility but a small part of his range.

Tony Gaglione

Thought about this hand after we discussed it Brad. I think in these spots a lot of the time vs weak players a check raise for double is more likely to be a monster than if he had position on you and did the “double donk raise” Can he really 2x check raise you out of position with a draw and then have no clue how to proceed on the turn if he misses? I am pretty sure he either check calls or donk leads into with most of his one pair hands and even possibly draws on a board like that. Although the board is fairly dry there are a few monster draws in there with that kind of limping range that turns your hand into some real gambling when you are the superior player and that deep. I think it is close but I didn’t see anyone mention the difference in the fact it was a check raise OOP instead of a raise in position….. better line prob to just call raise on flop and see what he decides to do on turn. Also if you have him on a range of hands that include a4 a9 I really don’t see him calling off your 8k with those types of hands and you lost all your action if you do have those hands crushed. Seems to me you narrowed down his range to basically aq or a draw with that 8k reraise. No you got to ask yourself once he shoves is the price you are getting really fitting into the range of hands he is shoving with? I mean you are 29k effective and have invested 3k in this pot so far. gonna be 19500 to win 29450…… thats a pretty wide range you have to have a guy who check raised you OOP and then jams. You fold there you still got 60bb……….. (I aint gonna bother with hand ranges and odds cause you all can do that yourselves lol)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.