Survey on making money at poker

Home Forums General Discussion Survey on making money at poker

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lori Silver
    Participant

I’d like to take a survey!

1) How much do you make/lose at poker monthly from cash games?

2) How much do you make/lose from Internet poker?

3) How much do you make or lose annually from major tournaments?

4) How much time a week do you spend studying poker?

Please share. I’ll compile info for us. I think we’d learn a lot about our colleagues games and where we fit in.

Lori Silver
    Participant

Feel free to make comments on your survey.

John Gary Marsh
    Participant

1) Don’t play many cash games. The only one that I play with any regularity is the “Zone Poker” option offered online. The stakes are $.10-.25, the room is called Bengals (they’re all named after NFL franchises) and I KILL there. Premiums mostly + the occasional BB rag soul-crusher. $25/hour.

2) I haven’t cashed online since it was “banned”, but I play 6 player $20 Double Ups & 9 player $28 Triple Ups and haven’t reloaded yet.

3) Define “major”. I don’t play that much, and the only major tournament that I’ve ever played in was when I was a Piranha Rep in ’13. Result? Not so good. My pp 10s went down to pp 8s preflop when an 8 appeared in the window. Decisions not outcomes 😉

4) Absolutely none; zero, zippage, nada, nil. It’s a fun little hobby, but that’s it. I try not to take it, or myself, too seriously 😉

Brad Jensen

1.) I don’t regularly play cash anymore. The last time I played regularly online was around 2008. I switched to tournaments mostly at that point. I was always a pretty regular winner online in stakes .05-.10NL to .50-1NL. I don’t remember my exact stats. Except for most of 2003 where I was for most intents and purposes professionally since I was out of work, I played around 20 hours a week. I’ve never played live regularly but I usually book winning sessions, usually playing $1-$2/$1-$3 and occasionally $2-$5/$3-$5. I don’t play at all online for money anymore except the SeganPro league and our upcoming stuff with Piranha.

2.) From 2002 to Black Friday I never had a losing year online. Never a huge winner as a part time player. Had a decent year in 2003 as a full time player.

3.) I don’t play enough volume to really have much in terms of results but I am a lifetime winner in live events. My Hendon Mob profile lists cashes of a little over $37,000. I’ve got easily twice that in events that they don’t track such as local events at Bay 101, the nightly side events on the WSOP circuit and home games.

4.) I try to put in around 20 hours a week of study, mostly watching instructional videos.

Lori Silver
    Participant

Thanks for answering everyone. It really helps me put this in perspective. Until I read the answers I never realized what a vacuum I live in!

1) Cash, I’d say I’m about even.

2) Internet – I lose about $100 a week. Sometimes I win $1,000 to $3,000, perhaps quarterly, but I still dig into my account after that reserve goes away. I realized that I’m probably playing too high stakes for my skill level, so might consider moving down for more profitability, if possible.

3)

Lori Silver
    Participant

My post disappeared, so apologies if you see two of them.

1) I’m about even in cash. I go in streaks, but sometimes I bring home money, and sometimes am out money. I don’t often play cash games, mostly when I play at Piranha or in Vegas.

2) Internet – I lose about $100 a week overall. About every quarter I have decent wins of $1,000 – $3,000 and live on them for awhile. But I just realized that I am probably playing at too high a stakes for my skill level and need to move down a notch for more (hopefully) profitable results.

3) My best results are at major tournaments. I’ve never cashed in at the major tourneys, but have done fine at night and in the smaller ones. I’ve probably made about $20,000 in those. Best part is that I’ve attended about 10 major tournaments (like WSOP, Circuits, HPT), and have come with money 9/10 times.

4) Reading has become more video watching. I run in spurts. My most recent spurt, is watching WPT Tony Dunst analysis. I’m also teaching Syd to play my way, more aggressively and hoping to learn some more conservative skills to balance mine. My being slightly more conservative is, what I think, makes the live tournaments more successful for me.

3)

Dominic Chan
    Keymaster

1) I’m generally a losing cash game player, especially online. I’ve done much better in person but that’s with selecting weak tables with lots of tourists and weak players to try to take advantage. I don’t think I’m very good at cash.

2) Before Black Friday, I was probably up about $800 in lifetime earnings in online poker. All of it came from cashes is small buyin tournaments. Unfortunately, I probably lost these winnings in online cash games. My best result was a $780 1st place win for a $3 buyin tourney. It was the night before Easter and I went to church a few hours later!
    3) I’m up about 3k in live lifetime tournaments. I spent most of my winnings on my nice BBO poker/dining table. But I’ve yet to cash at the WSOP which is an albatross that hangs over my neck.
    4) I watch videos or broadcasts a few times a week. I read and reread various poker books but usually before bed or in the bathroom! So probably altogether about 3 hours a week when you add it all up.
    My Hendon Mob page is here http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=243686

Andy P
    Participant

1-3) I have a standard answer at the table when someone asks me about money and poker.

I play just enough cash games to pay for my tournaments.
    I play some black jack and craps to pay for my cash games.
    Come Monday, I go to work so that I can pay for my black jack and craps.

4) How much time a week do you spend studying poker?

I try to watch The Cincinnati Kid and The Rounders every time they’re on TV. Also listening to Norman Chad probably has helped my game more than any poker book 🙂 On a serious note, Tony Dunst’s Raw Deal is the only thing I try to catch on regular basis.

Blue Sirius
    Participant

I am up 20K over the past four years from cash games. That is my total profit, but if you break it down I am all over the place. That 20K comes from two 10K profit years, the other two years I more or less broke even, one year a $490 win and other year a $512 loss. I should also note that my two 10K profit years come from playing only $100 spread limit with 1,2 blinds ten-handed and no other games. During the two years where I about broke even, I did myself in by playing 6/12 limit. Both those year I was up for spread limit or no limit and gave every dollar I made in profit from those games went to the limit tables. One of those years (half-way through) I was up over 5k at 100 spread, but fucked off both my winnings and my time when I became frustrated with the grind of the spread limit and gave my hard-earned winnings to the 6/12 limit game.

This past year the club I play at (due to proximity to my home) moved from spread limit to no limit with a 1,1,2 blind structure and larger game with a 2,3,5 blind structure. The first few weeks of the 1,1,2 was gold, now I could have people making $160, $200 dollar or larger mistakes on single street rather than being limited to $100 mistake on a single street. Unfortunately, after a few weeks most players went back to playing it like a 100 spread and with the increased drop (they started taking $5 instead of $4) and the extra blind I just can’t beat the game. It took me 7 months of up, down, up, down, breaking even to realize this and move up to the 2,3,5 game. Have not played enough session to report, so far I am up a small amount.

Internet:
    I found pokerstars just a few weeks before Black Friday, I was messing around with the super cheap tournaments and had just cashed out a $100 profit before it all came down. Have not played much cash online, don’t think I would do very well, don’t have the focus I do in live.
    Now I play little triples up for fun and am up about $300 to $400 over the past 4 or 5 years. (Don’t track this like I do my live play)

Last year I made about $6,000 in live tournaments, most of which came from a $4700 second place in a local two-day event. I played 7 events this past year (2014) and cashed in three of them. I believe the total buy-in were somewhere between $1150 and $1200. Other than this past year I have played very few live tournament events. Most of my play has been at Piranha with good results, two trips to Vegas, resulting in a great time. The two WSOP seats at a Piranha member are the only major events I have played in.

Study no much anymore. I use to read or watch videos regularly, but now I am tired and I know my game has suffered from it. I do watch some Live At The Bike from time to time and occasionally read a few pages from whatever book is being praised at the moment. I think the most important thing about study time is understanding if and how it applies to your game. I see a lot of folks hear or read something and just run with it not realizing it may not apply as well to the level or stakes they are playing.

Fun Survey, looking forward to seeing what you comply for all this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.